1-A user downloads and uses the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to generate a report on a PC that is being considered for an operating system upgrade. What information would the report contain?
- recommended changes to hardware
- recommended changes to file systems
- recommended changes to user permissions
- recommended changes to directory structures
2-What are two features of the active partition of a hard drive that is using MBR? (Choose two.)
- The active partition must be a primary partition.
- Up to four primary partitions can be marked as active.
- An active partition must be assigned C: as the drive letter.
- The operating system uses the active partition to boot the system.
- The active partition may include the manufacturer recovery partition.
3-A computer with the Windows 7 operating system fails to boot when the system is powered on. The technician suspects that the operating system has been attacked by a virus that rendered the system inoperable. What measure could be taken to restore system functionality?
- Use a differential backup to restore the system.
- Use an incremental backup to restore the system.
- Use a system image that was created prior to the failure to restore the system.
- Run chkdsk on the affected drive to restore system files to their post-installation state.
4-What are two functions of an operating system? (Choose two.)
- controlling hardware access
- managing applications
- text processing
- flow chart editing
- program compilation
- web browsing
- controlling the BIOS
5-Which two methods should a technician use to update a device driver? (Choose two.)
- Insert the operating system installation media and load the driver from there.
- Use the media that came with the device.
- Buy another operating system license.
- Download the driver from the website of the manufacturer.
- Perform a firmware update.
6-What is the term for the ability of a computer to run multiple applications at the same time?
7-What is provided by an operating system that has multiprocessing capability?
- support for two or more processors
- support for two or more users
- the capability to run multiple applications at the same time
- the ability to run different parts of a program at the same time
8-Which application interface is comprised of multiple APIs that support multimedia tasks in Windows operating systems?
- Windows API
9-What is used by an operating system to communicate with hardware components?
- device driver
- Application Program Interface
10-Which version of Windows introduced the Metro user interface, which can be used on desktops, laptops, mobile phones, and tablets?
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
11-Where can a technician look to determine if specific computer hardware or software has been tested to work with Windows 7?
- Microsoft Compatibility Center
- Microsoft Knowledge Base
- Windows 7 manual
- Windows Easy Transfer
12-What is critical to consider when determining the version of Windows to install on a desktop computer?
- version of Microsoft Office installed
- type of monitor installed
- off-the-shelf applications installed
- customized applications installed
13-What is the purpose of a recovery partition?
- to provide a copy of the C: partition and data from the last backup in case of failure
- to provide a backup copy of the BIOS
- to return the system to an earlier state to recover from a failed update
- to restore the computer to the factory state without deleting user files
- to restore the computer to its factory state
14-What Windows 8 tool allows the computer to be rolled back to its factory state without losing any user files?
- recovery partition
- System Restore
- Refresh your PC
- BIOS backup
15-A Windows 8 computer locks up with a stop error during startup and then automatically reboots. The automatic restart setting is making it difficult to see any error messages. What can be done so that the error messages can be viewed?
- Use the System Recovery options to restart the operating system.
- Use the Command Prompt option to research the stop error messages.
- View the error messages and recover the system using the System Image Recovery tool.
- Access the Advanced Startup options menu before the OS loads to disable the auto restart function.
16-A user installs a new video driver on a computer that was working properly. After the new driver is installed and the computer is restarted, the computer fails to boot. How can the user quickly return the computer to a working state?
- Restart the PC with the Windows System Recovery disc and use the Startup Repair utility.
- Press F8 while the computer is booting and choose the Last Known Good Configuration option.
- Boot the system with the original Windows installation media and choose the Repair Your Computer option.
- Press F8 while the computer is booting and choose the Start Windows Normally option.
17-Where are the settings that are chosen during the installation process stored?
- in the recovery partition
- in BIOS
- in flash memory
- in the Registry
18-Why is it important to register a DLL file in Windows?
- so that any program needing to use that specific program code can locate the file
- so that the operating system can be restored
- so that the computer can be restored to factory settings
- so that copyright laws are not violated when computer images are made
19-A Windows 8.1 system is unable to boot properly. What is the procedure to boot this system into Safe Mode?
- From the command prompt run the shutdown -r -s command.
- Run the MSCONFIG utility and choose the option Selective Startup.
- Reboot the system and press Del or F2 depending on the system.
- Reboot the system, press and hold F8 until a menu is displayed, and then choose Safe Mode.
20-A technician has installed a new video driver on a Windows 8.1 computer and now the monitor shows distorted images. The technician needs to install a different video driver that is available on a network server. What startup mode should the technician use to access the driver on the network?
- Safe Mode
- Safe Mode with Networking
- Debugging Mode
- Safe mode with Command Prompt
21-A technician is considering implementing RAID 5 before installing Windows. Which technology does RAID 5 use?
- striping with parity
- lazy write
22-What is a characteristic of a spanned volume?
- Data is stored across two or more disks for faster read and write access.
- Data is seen as one volume, but is stored across two or more disks.
- A copy of one disk is placed on another disk for fault tolerance.
- Data is striped across a total of three or more disks, but one disk is used for parity in order to provide fault tolerance.
23-Which Windows tool is used to determine if a dynamic disk is corrupted?
- Disk Management
- Device Manager
- Microsoft System Preparation
24-A user has upgraded a PC to Windows 7 but still needs to use an application that is created for the earlier version of Windows. Which mode of operation within Windows 7 can be used to run the application?
- real mode
- protected mode
- virtual mode
- compatibility mode
- multiuser mode
25-Within which folder would a user of 64-bit Windows 8 find 32-bit programs?
- C:Program Files
- C:Program Files (x86)
- C:Program Files (x64)
- C:Program Files (x32)